St. Edmond's Home is the first Catholic Home for children with disabilities in the United States. It was opened in 1916 by Philadelphia Archbishop Edmond Prendergast. The original home, at 44th Street and Haverford Avenue, under the auspices of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, primarily served children affected by polio. In 1956 the Home moved to Roberts Road in Rosemont.
Discovery of the Salk vaccine led to the virtual elimination of polio, and St. Edmond's Home focused on the care and treatment of children with severe and profound mental and physical limitations.
Today, St. Edmond's is licensed as an Intermediate Care Facility for children with mental retardation (ICF/MR) by the State of Pennsylvania. With support from a sensitive and committed staff, children with numerous physical disabilities and mental limitations participate in an active treatment program. It is the objective of the interdisciplinary team of nursing, medical and therapeutic professionals to provide a holistic outcome oriented plan of care to enhance the quality of life for each child.
IIt is the policy of St. Edmond's Home for Children to admit, treat and care for all individuals without regard to race, religion, sex or national origin.